By Albany Tribune -- (August 25, 2011)
An explosion at a Best Western Hotel in Newberg led to the evacuation of clients in the early hours Thursday.
Upon arrival officers found a male in the hallway with extensive burns to his body, and was later identified as Christopher Thomas Heidt, 29, of McMinnville. When officers located Heidt this morning he admitted to cooking Hashish in the room just prior to the explosion.
At 2:53 the Newberg-Dundee 911 Center received several calls reporting an explosion at the Best Western Hotel located at 2211 Portland Road in Newberg.
While officers were assisting with the evacuation of the hotel they also located a 26 year old female and a 2 year old female that were staying in the same room as Heidt. The adult female in the motel room has been identified as Andrea Marie Goe, 26, of McMinnville.
The child’s name was not released.
Although there were no obvious injuries, both Goe and the child were both transported to a local hospital for precautionary measures.
No charges have been filed and the investigation is continuing.
During this event officers and fire personnel assisted 123 guests out of the hotel and no other injuries were reported.
A local bus company was called to provide some shelter until a Hazmat crew from Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue could check the air quality and ensure there were no immediate safety concerns. During this event the hotels fire suppresion sprinklers and smoke alarms were activated and had most of the fire out before the fire department arrived. There is extensive damage to the room where the explosion took place as well as damage to the adjacent rooms.
Building officials from the City of Newberg have been contacted to check on the damage and ensure the safety of the public. Guests of the hotel were let back in to gather their belongings and check out. The Newberg-Dundee Police Department was assisted early on by the Yamhill County Sheriff’s Office, and the Oregon State Police.
The Newberg Fire Department was assisted by Dundee Fire, McMinnville Fire, and Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue to include their regional Hazmat Team.